The land on which the present building called Schoolhouse Lane is situate was originally donated for school purposes by Sheriff B W. Smith prior to municipal incorporation of the Town of Collingwood in 1858. Collingwood's first public school was built on site in 1858 and the building was used for that purpose until 1884.
The original school was extended in 1879-80 when a brick addition was added. This two storey, brick structure still stands and has been incorporated into the present site.
The bell that was installed on this first Collingwood elementary school has been preserved by the municipality and may be seen at the Collingwood Museum.
Despite its antiquity, the building was never vacant for long. It was used, among other things, as MacMillan's Livery from 1903 to 1946 and Brown's Lumber from 1946 to 1976 before its restoration to its present state.
In 1976, Jim and Cathy Mulholland purchased the lands and major renovations took place making the site into a mall. The upper floor was used as a banquet hall for weddings and social functions.
Today, the site offers Tesoro’s Italian Restaurant, The Admiral’s Post English pub and various storefronts and the upper level since 1983 has been the law offices of Shaw, McLellan and Ironside.
mycollingwood.ca would like to congratulate the partners of Shaw, McLellan and Ironside on Celebrating their 30th Anniversary this month.