This pioneer log cabin was originally constructed on the W/2 lot 5, Con 1, Twp of Melancthon, Cty of Grey, Canada West. The present designation of that location is now Lot 237, Conc. 1, North East, Melancthon Twp., Cty of Dufferin, Ontario Canada.
The property was purchased by Charles Hall from the Crown in October 1852 for the price of 7 shillings 6 pence per acre ($1.90) with the following conditions to apply:
- 10% of the purchase price to be a down payment with a further 10% to be paid annually plus interest until the entire amount was paid.
- The purchaser to enter upon the land immediately and occupy it continuously.
- During the first 5 years, the land was to be cleared at the rate of not less than 5 acres annually per 100 acres and a dwelling house to be built not less than 18’x26’ in size.
The log house was lived in continuously by a number of families until it was dismantled and moved in 1995 by Gregg & Maryanne Grant who re-erected it on this site. It was then used as a barn and housed a horse (Buttermilk), several rabbits and a colony of feral raccoons for a number of years. It was upgraded to its present condition in 2002.
Submitted by: Darlene West, Artist