With a new season around the corner new colours & trends are filling the newsstand and dominating the home décor shows. After a summer of hustle bustle and a fall filled with lots of outdoor activities, its time to spend a little more time indoors with your family and friends. So what a better excuse to spice up the house a bit? Here are some ideas for your home:
- A major trend this season is having a contemporary feel in the house. This word, though has changed its meaning a bit by focusing now more on simplicity with touches of elegance rather than other characteristics of stiff lines and cool colours.
- Using soft colours such as, creams, whites and light greys as your primary pallet brings in simplicity and accenting them with punches of colour like emerald green, romantic purple, rich sapphire blues, rusty orange and deep cocoa brown is a quick way to add some elegance and update your environment.
- As well, losing all of the clutter and just picking a few main pieces for the eye to focus on gives a fresh new feel to a room. Focusing on a beautiful leather couch, or a great piece of art, even an artistic vase offers clarity to a room, which is much needed before the rush of the holidays.
- The idea of “less is more” is taking a forefront, completely throwing the ideas of ornate and over done out the window.
- Another trend that has made a major impact is the feeling of masculinity, everything from fabrics, furniture to the actual design of the room. On the mainstream stands it’s called the “menswear trend”.
- The simple yet bold design of men’s ties has made a big presence in interior design fashion fabrics. Not only being used as pillow coverings, but also now their use for house draperies is becoming predominant.
- With the idea of masculinity comes along a NO FRILL rule! Which combines our other trend of simplicity quite well.
- Even furniture has taken a masculine side. Very linear and a little cold has become the trend.
- Keeping these trends in mind, there is one more to mention that is the biggest of all. It’s about being true to you and your own likes and dislikes. Having an idea of with is hip and trendy is great, however, it can do nothing for you if it doesn’t reflect who you and your family are. This is also being seen in fashion across the board, taking a trend, however small or big and twisting it about so it suits you as a person.
- Retailers are also noticing an increase in eco friendly buying when it comes to interior design. Although it’s not as big as some people would like, it is on the rise.
- When you have the urge to redecorate your home, consider buying locally. Not only do you support economic growth in your community, you also have an excellent resource when you have questions and want expert advice throughout your project.
Salnek Window Fashions and Accessories offers new age designs, custom drapery and state of the art blinds with brand names such as Hunter Douglas Gallery, Eclipse Shutters, Sun project and many more! We use elite fabrics such as Kravet, Robert Allen, Maxwell, and Equus to name a few. We cater to your styles and make sure the customer is completely satisfied. Come on in and “Let’s Decorate!”. There’s something for every style and taste!
Salnek Window Fashions and Accessories is located in Collingwood at 20 Balsam Street (the plaza across from Canadian Tire). Feel free to pop in for a visit or call them at 705.445.3681.