mycollingwood.ca - you are here
mycollingwood.ca - make us your homepage
        
mycollingwood.ca - the place to be in Southern Georgian Bay

Taste the Advantage of buying local (Posted On: Wednesday, May 23, 2007)

 Decrease font 

Our average meal travels about 2,500 kilometers to our plates. In the 1960's, 70% of our food was local. It takes 400 times more energy to ship lamb from New Zealand than to buy local lamb. It takes 435 calories to move a 7-calorie strawberry from California to Simcoe County.

What we eat is responsible for 20%-25% of Canada's greenhouse gases. Only 10% of the fossil fuel used is actually used on the farm, the other 90% goes into packaging, transportation and marketing.

Every $1 spent on local food generates more than $2 in other, local business. Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating recommends we consume 5 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables each day.

Local Farming Association Receives Funding

The Simcoe County Farm Fresh Marketing Association (SCFFMA) announces that they are the recipient of funding from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada through the Agricultural Adaptation Council located in Guelph.

The funding will be used to develop marketing tools to provide information to consumers that will enable them to purchase locally grown food directly from the farm and to provide information to consumers on the importance of the connection of eating locally, healthy eating and the health of the environment. A launch of a redesigned web site will be part of the project.

“This funding is very important to the SCFFMA, because it will help to educate consumers on why it’s so important to support local farmers.” Says, Morris Gervais, President of the SCFFMA “Not only is it good for the economy, but it’s best for the environment, and for taste!” Only 10 % of the fossil fuel consumed is actually used on the farm, the other 90 % goes into packaging, transportation and marketing.

Taste is the big advantage to buy food grown close to home. You can buy what has been freshly picked within a day or two, rather than food that has been picked before ripe, transported thousands of kilometres, and left on shelves.

With the funding, the SCFFMA was able to hire a part-time Project Manager. Sandra Trainor has taken on the responsibility of rolling out the project. She is working on building collaborative partnerships with a diverse cross-section of the community, including, farming groups, health, food security, economic development, tourism and many others who are interested in getting involved in the buy-local movement. “There is a growing demand in sourcing food locally…it can start with just a few items, or one can eat very well all season long, it just takes a bit of research to find out what is available right at our doorsteps.”

The Simcoe County Farm Fresh Marketing Assoc. is a Non-Profit Corporation, comprising of over 40 area farms and businesses who offer locally grown and produced food. Everything from farmers markets, farm gate sales, country stores, and community shared agriculture, pick-your-own farms and restaurants. To find out more go to http://www.simcoecountyfarmfresh.ca or call: 705 734-2075.

Share

©2017 SuiGeneris Marketing. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use  |  Privacy

mycollingwood.ca is not responsible for any errors or omissions. Please notify us of any changes.

Register
Community Photo Gallery
Visit Area Attractions
Double Dollars on mycollingwood.ca
Area Events