The 2008 Collingwood Super Cities WALK for MS is just around the corner! Mark Sunday April 13th on your calendar and join over 300 area residents at the Royal Canadian Legion at 490 Ontario St as we WALK for a Cure.
The event, now in its 9th year in Collingwood, is the main fundraiser for the MS Society of Canada, with half of the proceeds going towards research and the other half being used in Simcoe County for support and services for those living with MS. Last year, 355 Collingwood WALKers raised nearly $65,000!
Across Canada, 162 communities participate in the WALK, which raised a total of $13.2 million nationally. We’re hoping to beat that amount this year, so come on out and join us for a day of fun, friends, family and fundraising.
· We expect 450 participants to raise $65,000 in this community.
· 2008 is the WALK’s 9th year in this community.
· The Honorary Chairperson is: Sherrill Ann Monaghan, MS Ambassador and Collingwood WALK Committee Member
· Across Canada, 70,000 participants in 162 communities will raise $13.2 million.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
· Our national sponsors are Brinks and Student Works Painting.
· Our provincial title sponsor is: Loblaws
· Our media sponsors include: Rogers Television, The Peak 95.1 FM, Collingwood-Wasaga Beach Connection, Enterprise Bulletin, mycollingwood.ca
· Our other local sponsors include: Blue Mountain Honda, Collingwood Toyota, Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, Huron House Restaurant, Boston Pizza, The Royal Canadian Legion (Branch 63), Saunders Book Company, St John Ambulance, The Town of Collingwood, Tim Hortons
Top Fund Raisers in 2007:
· The individual who raised the most money last year was Sherrill-Ann Monaghan with a total of $7,131.
· The team that raised the most money last year was INDEPENDENT OREDER OF ODDFELLOWS, with a total of $6,406.
How the funds will be used:
Proceeds from the Super Cities WALKs for MS are used to support both MS research and services in accordance with our mission statement. Some funds stay in the local community to provide services for people with MS and their families. Other funds support Canadian research projects, furthering the search for the cure and the development of new treatments for people with multiple sclerosis.
The Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada’s mission:
“To be a leader in finding a cure for multiple sclerosis and enabling people affected by MS to enhance their quality of life.”
For more information about how you can get involved, please go to our website or call 1-800-268-7582.