The Jimmie Spencer Leadership Award has been created by the Canadian Ski Council to honour Jimmie Spencer, a leader in the ski and snowboard industry in Canada. This year’s recipient is Gord Canning of Blue Mountain Resorts Ltd.
The Jimmie Spencer Leadership Award is given to someone who has overcome a variety of challenges on their way to success and has become a positive leader in the ski and snowboard industry. The Jimmie Spencer Award is given to honor the tremendous accomplishments of Mr. James Spencer, President and CEO of the Canada West Ski Areas Association who has demonstrated innumerable feats and achievements in the winter snow sports industry in Canada.
Jimmie is an exceptional person and has set the benchmark for quality and passion of an association executive in the ski and snowboard industry. Jimmie has become a mentor to numerous people in the industry. He demonstrates political savvy and has dedicated many volunteer hours in the sake of promoting the snow sports industry.
Jimmie Spencer has set an example for all other associations showing them that understanding, hard work, dedication and determination can achieve great success.
The Jimmie Spencer Leadership Award will be presented annually to a leader who possesses the qualities of Jimmie Spencer. It is with great pleasure that I announce the 2006 winner of The Jimmie Spencer Leadership Award-- Gord Canning, President of Blue Mountain Resorts LTD.
Gord posses many of Jimmie’s qualities including:
- Gord has a credible commitment and recognized personal leadership regarding his contribution to the development and promotion of snowsports in Canada.
- Gord show compassion when dealing with individuals.
- He unifies our industry – building bridges between organizations with the snowsports industry.
- Gord understands and addresses all of the issues facing the ski/board industry- head on.
- Gord instills confidence in others through believing in them and encouraging fellow colleagues and peers.
- He helps others in achieving their potential and shows initiative, motivation, and potential for continued leadership within the industry.
- He is consistently exploring new resources and initiatives in the industry.
- He mentors other individuals.
- Gord acts ethically and with integrity at all times. And volunteers his time to support industry growth.
Submitted by: Kelly O'Neil
Public Relations Specialist
Blue Mountain Resorts Limited/ Intrawest