Three great days of top-drawer jazz, blues, big band, swing and gospel music plays in the Blue Mountains at the end of April.
JAZZMANIA – Friday, April 27, 8pm
An award winning line-up of ten great jazz groups is confirmed to play at Thornbury/Clarksburg Hotspots:
- Don Buchanan’s Sploink plays the Beaver Valley Bistro, Thornbury-Clarksburg Rotary’s lively jazz club in the Beaver Valley Community Centre – expect an innovative approach to jazz standards and some original compositions.
- Hart and Soul (Bobby Dean Blackburn on keyboards and vocals and Hart Richardson on trumpet) appears at The Dam Pub, with a dynamic and soulful performance of blues and jazz standards.
- Double Juno award winner and favourite of the Toronto swing dance scene, Christopher Plock and his Trio bring singing, scatting and sax playing to Sisi on Main.
- The hot Dr. Jazz North Trio lights up The Mill Café, with traditional Dixieland and Latino jazz styles.
- Shelaugh Hart and her Trio return to the Thornbury Manor and Back Door Pub - enjoy her great jazz and blues renditions up close and personal.
- Karen Holgate and Jan Menkal present their fresh synergy of jazz favourites at Sterio’s Steak and Seafood – a classy professional act, from Karen’s sweet vocals to Jan’s smooth guitar style.
- The popular and versatile Louis LeFaive & His Kings of Swing are hosted by Piper’s Restaurant & Tavern - hold onto your seats as the Kings ramp up the music and fun.
- The Charlie Bell Trio promises an intimate evening of jazz standards and styles from ballads and bossas to hard swinging’ blues at this year’s newest vibrant hotspot, The Loft Gallery.
- The Fig Leaf Jazz Band brings 31 years of traditional jazz to the Marsh Street Centre - whether dancing or listening, this is toe tapping jazz at its best.
- The Ken Whiteley Duo is hosted by the Beaver Valley Outreach at the L.E. Shore Library. A master guitarist and mandolinist, this double Juno winner will amaze with his range of blues and jazz styles.
BIG BAND SATURDAY – April 28; Matinee 1 pm; Evening 8 pm
Two exciting shows for your dancing and listening pleasure.
The Festival is thrilled to welcome back the 17 piece Toronto All-Star Big Band. Their brilliant programming, slick choreography, witty cultural nostalgia and vibrant cast of awesome talent has earned the All-Stars a position at the top of the “A list” of performers.
Returning after an absence of several years, the Festival is very pleased to welcome back the Toronto Megacity Swing Band. Formed in 1998, this energetic and exciting 18 piece jazz orchestra performs both the famous songs of the ‘30s and ‘40s as well as modern works in the swing style.
Your Host, the Georgian Sound Big Band presents a wide variety of ballroom and swing music under the direction of Don Doner and musical leadership of Brad Crawford, featuring the romantic and swinging vocals of Lisa Hutchinson and Dave Watson. This 18 piece band will also accompany the expanded Dance Show.
Professional swing dancers Dan Amores and Joanna Kassoulides are coming back! These swing dance champions are a major part of the Toronto swing dance scene, and this year, will be joined by their Hogtown Lindy Hoppers - an entire swing group performing for your pleasure.
New to the Festival this year are husband and wife dance partners, Deiter Hessel and Colleen Clancey. These professional ballroom dancers teach ballroom, Latin, swing and Argentine tango at the “Dance Café” in Toronto.
Warm up with some friends and come out for a dance lesson with the swing or ballroom pros on Saturday morning! (see the website for more information).
GOSPELFEST – Sunday, April 30 1:30
Ken Whiteley (joined by family and friends) headlines this year’s Gospelfest and draws on his encyclopaedic knowledge of musical styles to create fresh themes of freedom, love and spiritual aspiration.
Gospelfest also welcomes the Mudde Family from Innisfil. Dennis, Nancy and their six children specialize in classic and contemporary southern gospel as well as traditional hymns.
Buy your tickets before March 31st and save – Jazzmania $15 lets you see all ten groups; Big Band Saturday $25; $15 for <18 yrs; Gospelfest $10. Check out our Weekend Package value (tickets for one to all three events). Call (519) 599-3223 or buy online http://www.festival.georgiansound.ca with VISA.
‘Hope to see you in April!