The Town of the Blue Mountains Chamber of Commerce held their AGM and Business Excellence Awards at the beautiful Raven Golf Club at Lora Bay on the evening of February 28, 2006. With approximately 130 attendees, it was a lively evening with great hospitality, excellent food and the following award winners:
Entrepreneur of the Year – sponsored by the Centre for Business & Economic Development
Presented to a business owner, new or existing, who in the last 12 months has developed their business to meet changing community and consumer demands. They will have provided a high level of business service, a product or service needed in The Blue Mountains, as well as being involved in the community.
For 2006 the Recipient is Scandinave Spa , “In the Heart of Nature” - They have built an amazing relaxation centre on Grey Rd 21. The Scandinavian Baths are renowned for their ability to cleanse the skin and provide a sense of well-being. You can try their Finnish Sauna, Norwegian Steam Bath, Thermal & Nordic Waterfalls, as well as Hot Baths & Cold Plunges. Complete the experience by enjoying the serenity if the Solariums, Relaxation Areas and Outdoor Fireplace.
Site Enhancement – Presented to businesses that have significantly improved the landscaping and/or facade of the business premise. Site Enhancement awards were presented to:
- Marions Hair Studio, Thornbury who have done a beautiful job with their new premises, adding a welcome addition to Bruce Street that defines sophistication at its best and at the same time has made a great addition to the historical front façade.
- The renovations to Lakes Garage in Clarksburg, now the home of Loft Gallery and Bayswater Market have improved the streetscape in Clarksburg and are the beginning of a new era in the life of this village .
- And at the Village at Blue TAKE A PLUNGE! Catch snowflakes on your tongue, while swimming under the stars! Plunge! is the ultimate, all ages, four season water adventure at the base of Blue Mountain Ski Resort. Indoor-outdoor pools, indoor water playground, hot tubs, rope swings, docks and slides are sure to provide year-round fun. This facility has raised the bar on a community water facility and is appealing to both local residents and visitors.
Customer Service Excellence - Will recognize a local business, its management, and staff for successfully demonstrating quality customer service. An organization that is appreciated for its helpful and efficient service, dedicated to customer satisfaction and willing to go the extra mile.
We are pleased to present this recognition to Kathy Kinsey at TD Canada Trust, the local branch has gone out of their way to be as helpful as possible, they are open longer; they have had focus groups with regard to their services and you will notice that staff park their cars across the street to allow more parking for their customers.
The Chamber would also like to thank Carol Kordts and her support for the Chamber by connecting new business owners with the Chamber in order to benefit from services we both offer.
Business of the Year - This business has experienced achievement in growth in sales, innovation, excellence in leadership, increased productivity and has had a positive impact on the community through good business citizenship.
This year the Lora Bay Corporation – Jim Wilkinson and Bill Lewis were recognized. They have created a company with an outstanding commitment to the local community. They have supported numerous events and charities. The fireworks and laser show were amazing at Renaissance Meaford. They have shown an excellent example of an innovative and successful lifestyle community dedicated to its participation and involvement with all neighbouring communities
Special Merit - May be presented to a business or individual that has had a special or unique impact on the community. The Chamber recognized the following people:
- Paula Rutte, the new General Manager for Metroland West Simcoe/Grey County Media Group. She has been instrumental in creating sponsorship programs for non-profit groups with the Courier Herald including the 1st Thornbury Rock n Roll Festival, Applefest/Cookbook and the Chamber has partnered with the Courier Herald reinstating the Coming Events section and supporting our local non-profit groups and associations.
- Teresa Matamoros, of Garden Holistics supported the Chamber with the gardens this summer.
- Tina Gray of Blue Mountain Veterinary Services has shown consistently good customer service and innovation in the care of animals. Everyone should also be reminded of her locks. Over $6,500 was raised with the friendly wager between her and Steven Schofield with proceeds going to the Cancer Society.
- Julie Card of mycollingwood.ca is positive and passionate about promoting the area, the businesses and the people.
mycollingwood.ca would like to congratulate all nominees and award winners.