The Blue Mountains Apple Harvest Festival is coming! Read this article if you love apples, love saving on ski clothing and equipment, love free stuff to do with your kids, love apples and apple pie and love eating and shopping. This event truly marks Thanksgiving Weekend in our region and includes fun for the whole family with lots of sites to see, tastes to experience, activities, entertainment, contests and shopping of course!
From the Village at Blue Mountain through to and including Heathcote, Clarksburg and Thornbury the action starts on Thursday at Noon.
From the Village at Blue Mountain through to and including Heathcote, Clarksburg and Thornbury the action starts on Thursday at Noon.
13th Annual Charity Silent Auction to benefit Beaver Valley Outreach
Bid on items such as gift certificates, books, gift baskets, antique toys, home décor, sporting goods, jewellery, unique art and much much more. Featured at this year’s auction is bountiful bowls - a celebration of pottery to feed the community. Purchase a bowl created by a local potter, filled with apple crisp made from apples donated by Blue Mountain Gourmet. All proceeds will benefit BVO’s Emergency Needs Food Bank.
Thursday, October 9th from 12 Noon to 4pm
Collingwood Ski & Snowboard Swap at the Monterra Tennis Dome
Thursday, October 9th from 6pm – 9pm – registration of equipment
Blue Mountain’s Turkey Tent Sale – at the Monterra Tennis Dome - Save up to 70% Off
Thursday, October 9th from 12 Noon – 9pm
Thornbury and Clarksburg on Saturday
Everybody Loves Pancakes!
Kick off your Saturday morning on October 11th with a Pancake Breakfast from 8am – 11am at the Beaver Valley Community Centre, hosted by the Beaver Valley Kinettes. Enjoy pancakes, sausages, apple juice, coffee and tea with proceeds to community projects. Yum!
Follow-up your yummy breakfast with a Tour of the Arts. Starting on Saturday, October 11th through to Monday, October 13th running from 10am – 5pm each day this twice a year event is a splendid opportunity for collectors and all those interested in the arts to visit with the artists and buy direct. Eleven well established locations in Thornbury, Clarksburg and the Beaver Valley open their doors to you. For more information about the Tour of the Arts visit our website.
In Downtown Thornbury you can enjoy live entertainment and horse drawn wagon rides from 11am – 3pm. Fish Ladder Tours are from 12 Noon – 3pm. The Fish Ladder is located right at the bridge in Thornbury on Highway 26. The fish ladder was designed to provide fish passage from Georgian Bay to the Beaver River at Thornbury.
If you want to exercise your legs and take in the beautiful fall colours try the Historical Walking/Biking tour. Goes from noon until 3pm - meet at the Landing at the Town Hall.
Downtown Clarksburg offers Horse and Carriage rides from 11am – 4pm. Experience the Outdoor Country Market featuring local products from 11am – 4pm and enjoy a scrumptious lunch of Ham and Scalloped Potatoes for only $10. per person, kids only $5.
All Weekend Long
Visit the Village at Blue and stroll the quaint pedestrian Village at the base of Blue Mountain and enjoy events, activities, shopping and dining all weekend. Live music entertainment, guided family hikes, face painting, street performers, scavenger hunts and pumpkin carving ($5).
On Saturday, don’t miss your chance to see SNOWMIX – 08 featuring the Canadian Premier of Burton’s new snowboarding movie “It’s Snowing Somewhere” plus the new Freestyle ski movie “Journal”. This event runs from 6:30pm – 10pm.
Pie…did someone say Pie? Register for the Quintessential Apple Pie Baking Contest! If you’re in Thornbury or Clarksburg you can drop off your pie at the Visitor’s Centre on Highway 26. The Georgian Bay British Car Club will carefully escort your baked masterpiece to the Village at Blue in grand style. Make sure you get your entry in by 11am. You can also register and drop off your pie in the Village at Blue between 11am and 12 Noon.
Now…this is not just your average pie-baking contest. No sir…this is very serious stuff so if you think you’re up to it…go for it. This is the third annual Canadian Apple Pie Contest to be judged by celebrity judges. All ages are invited. There are spectacular prizes available and the title of Master Baker of the “Quintessential Canadian Apple Pie”. Your recipe must be submitted with your entry. The judging starts at 1pm and at 3:30pm winners will be announced and slices of pie will be sold for $2 with proceeds going to Beaver Valley Outreach.
Any baker can enter one or more pies as follows:
• Pies must be personally prepared by the entering baker.
So what can you win? How about a Kitchen Aid Professional Stand Mixer, plus a gift card for Oliver & Bonacini Café Grill and a Village Prize Package for starters. That’s a heck of a grand prize…just for baking a pie. If you’re the kind of person who thinks their apple pie is the best…or your family and friends rave about your apple pie…step up to the pie plate and toss your pie into the ring. The very worst thing that can happen is that your pie is sliced up and sold for $2 a slice with proceeds benefiting the Beaver Valley Outreach…so at the very least…by baking your pie…you are automatically contributing to a worthwhile charitable organization.
Pie Eating Contest
Maybe you can’t bake…but love to eat Apple Pie…then enter the Pie Eating Contest on Sunday, October 12th starting at 2pm. Register by 1pm. No hands…must be over 18 years to participate.
Taste of the Harvest
This is an amazing new twist to the Apple Harvest Festival. Sixteen locations have served up amazing apple treats offered at ridiculously low prices. Visit these locations on Sunday October 12th from 12 Noon – 4pm for amazing apple treats and weekend specials:
1. The Orchid Restaurant, 199 King St. (Highway 26 E), Thornbury, 519.599.5944. Featuring Apple Pancakes from 7am – 3pm. Purchase 2 litres of Apple Cider for only $3.
2. Pipers Restaurant & Tavern, 54 King St. East, Thornbury, 519.599.1888. Featuring apple crisp for only $2.
3. The Mill Café, 12 Bridge Street (Highway 26 E), Thornbury, 519.599.7866. Candy Apples (wow) for only $1. You can’t miss that
4. The Dam Pub, 53 Bruce Street, Thornbury, 519.599.2110. Apple Flan for only $2. Enjoy their special menu of Cider Roast Pork Loin stuffed with apples & cranberries. For more information about The Dam Pub visit their website.
5. Heavenly Sweets, 54 King Street, Thornbury, 519.599.1188. Featuring an Apple Crisp Sundae. Purchase Apple Spiced Truffles for only $1.50.
6. Grey Heron Natural Designs, 47 Bruce Street, Thornbury, 519.599.3443. Featuring Finchaven Sparkling Apple Cider. Purchase a Bag of Sunrise Orchards Organic Apples for only $5. Don't miss this fantastic weekend sale!! Sweater SALE... choose from our fabulous sweater collections. Find one you like & purchase your second sweater at 50% off. Check out our latest Charcoal Grey Denims... and matching jackets... Are you a Trollbead collector? Choose from over 100 beads... Our winter hats have arrived.. Pageboy woollies, Felt Berets, Stylish Toques, Donegal Tweed Country Caps... too many choices... See the new Ilse Jacobsen winter boots... Leather handbag SALE... selected styles and colours available Sale starts Thursday October 9th and runs through to Monday October 13th. For more information about Grey Heron Natural Designs visit their website.
7. Ashanti Coffee Estate, 39 Bruce Street, Thornbury, 519.599.7488. Featuring Apple Crumb Cake and Maple Cinnamon Lattes. Apple Harvest Cheesecake offered at only $4 per slice. For more information about Ashanti Coffee (which is the absolute best coffee in the land…seriously) visit their website.
8. Sisi On Main, 27 Bruce Street, Thornbury, 519.599.7769. Carmel Apples $2. The best dining experience in Thornbury. Hands Down! Chef Andrew Barber prepares a Price Fix menu just for the Apple Harvest Festival. This is an opportunity you don’t want to miss. For an appetizer choose from Butternut squash and apple bisque with cinnamon creme fraiche or Match stick apple and gorgonzola salad with candied walnuts and white wine or vinaigrette Bake brie with Caramelized onion, apple chutney and grilled croustini. For your main course try "Sisi fish ‘n chips" Battered Tilappia with celeriac and apple slaw with sweet potato frites or Grilled lamb Rack with Roasted pepper and apple jam, roasted blue potatoes and fall vegetables. For dessert, enjoy the absolutely decadent Tarte Tatin, Caramelized apples and caramel puff pastry tart served warm with vanilla ice cream. Make your reservation today!
9. New Orleans Pizza, 4 Arthur Street West, Thornbury, 519.599.1114. Fudge Apples $5.
10. Largo Restaurant & Bar, 15 Harbour Street, Thornbury, 519.599.6997. Apple Strudel $4.
11. Black Angus Meats, 207484 Highway 26 (across from Raven), 519.599.2334. Wild Boar Apple Curry Sausage 3pk - $4.
12. The Honey House, 209 Marsh Street, Clarksburg. Honey Apple Date Squares $1. For a great read on The Honey House check out this article.
13. Farmer’s Pantry, 788030 Grey Road 13, RR#1, Clarksburg, 519.599.3691. Baked Squash and Apple Soup $2. To find out more about Farmer’s Pantry check out this article.
14. Blue Mountain Gourmet, 108 Main Street, Heathcote, 519.599.6573. Featuring free product samples and you can purchase a slice of Apple Pie for only $2.
15. Great Canadian Gift Company, 170 Jozo Weider Blvd., Unit 3, Village at Blue, 705.443.8028. Sparkling Apple Cider & Apple Pie Tart $2.
Let us not forget about all of the fantastic shopping in Thornbury, Clarksburg and the Village at Blue. Here are some highlights for your consideration.
Furbelows, 38 Bruce Street South, Thornbury, Phone: 519.599.5422
Welcome Fall 2008 at Furbelows. Visit and indulge yourself with the wonderful fall colours this season. Aubergine, Reds, Mustard and Cobalt Blues. Sweater Dresses, Wide Leg Trousers and the all-important Skinny coloured Denim are a must this season. Check out the fabulous selection. Myco Anna, Sandwich and Mexx have arrived along with fantastic new lines like Lola Espeleta from France. The Fall footwear collection is the best in years. Modern Vintage, Jump and Franco Sarto just to name a few. Remember... If it’s in Fashion it’s at Furbelows.
Grey Heron Natural Designs, 47 Bruce Street South, Thornbury, 519.599.3443
Don't miss this fantastic weekend sale!! Sweater SALE... choose from our fabulous sweater collections. Find one you like & purchase your second sweater at 50% off. Check out the latest Charcoal Grey Denims... and matching jackets. Are you a Trollbead collector? Choose from over 100 beads. Winter hats have arrived. Pageboy woollies, Felt Berets, Stylish Toques, Donegal Tweed Country Caps... too many choices... See the new Ilse Jacobsen winter boots... Leather handbag SALE... selected styles and colours available Sale starts Thursday October 9th and runs through to Monday October 13th. For more information about Grey Heron Natural Designs visit their website.
Echo Trends, 170 Jozo Weider Blvd., Village At Blue, 705.446.1496
Completely satisfy your shopping urges with the clothing, handbags, jewellery and accessories found at Echo Trends. Find the season's best styles from Sandwich, Mexx, Elisa Cavaletti, Myka, Suzi Roher, Sweet Pea, Language, Eric Alexandre, Matt & Nat, and so many more! Echo Trends boasts the unique accessories of many local artisans created exclusively for the store. We are dedicated to help you create your own fashion ideal! We have become known for our excellent customer service and our attention to detail. Proud recipient of the Blue Mountain Chamber of Commerce Customer Service Award.
Tingle, 170 Jozo Weider Blvd., Village At Blue, 705.445.6768
Come discover the lingerie and loungewear store, Tingle, in The Village at Blue. Our selection of fashionable and everyday lingerie is exquisite. Boasting many unique brands of lingerie and offering sizes in 30A through 44G you won't want to miss visiting. We are proudly offering the service of professional bra fitters 7 days a week to assist you. Tingle offers many styles of bathing suits fitting all shape and sizes, and cover-ups and sexy sandals to compliment! Our loungewear and pajamas will hold you back from getting dressed! Seductive luxury for contemporary active women!
L'artisan at Monica, 19 Bruce Street N., Thornbury, 519.599.6660
Featuring SIMON CHANG denim - tummy control with figure flattering stretch. Monica has been operating her shop since 1981 and 80% of the clothing is handcrafted. For years, her store has been a destination shop in the Tour of the Arts.
Toad-eez on Main, 15 Bruce Street South, Thornbury, 519.599.6606
Check out the fabulous selection of clothing and gifts for newborns and infants. They have just received their Guess line for infants and toddlers and new pram sets. For more information about Toad-eez check out this article.
Parrots 'N Parsnips, 99 King Street East, Thornbury, 519.599.5153
Fall is in the Air and so is Applefest at Parrots ‘N Parsnips! We will be having a Special Applefest Sale. 20% OFF in store items all weekend long. Come in and enjoy a cup of Hot Apple Cider and take advantage of all the savings. Don’t let the name of this store fool you. You won’t find one parrot or any parsnips. But instead a wide range of home décor and accessory items. Bedding, Custom Headboards, bath accessories, linens, silver jewelry and giftware. Dealers of Rowe Furniture, Clayton Marcus and Natura Mattresses. Parrots 'N Parsnips spans over 4200 square feet in the village of Thornbury. A plethora of vignettes with ideas splashing throughout two showrooms of 12ft. ceilings and smaller boutique like areas with little nooks and crannies. For more information about Parrots ‘N Parsnips check out their website.
Bayswater Market, 28 Bruce Street South, Thornbury, 519-599-1212
Bayswater Market will be featuring Apple Themed Decor, Apple scented candles including "Grandma's Apple Pie" along with goodies for Thanksgiving such as Muskoka Whole Cranberry Sauce, Apple Pecan Cheese Pleaser and more. Please drop by! For more information about Bayswater Market visit their website.
Art Glass Studio & Antiques, 22 Louisa Street East, Thornbury, 519.599.5017
For the Apple Harvest Festival, Art Glass Studio & Antiques is featuring a small collection of original fine art oil paintings by George Thomson, older brother of the famous Group of Seven associate, Tom Thomson together with a selection of other well listed 20th century Canadian artists. For more information about Art Glass Studio and Antiques please visit their website.
- Dining / Food (858)
- Attractions (50)
- Things to Do (481)
- Culinary Tourism (33)
- Where to Stay (204)
- Health & Fitness (345)
- Beauty & Spas (152)
- Event Planning (121)
- Shopping (541)
- Arts/Entertainment (157)
- Maps & Trails (12)
- Home & Garden (515)
- Automotive & Marine (96)
- Rentals (37)
- Real Estate (101)
- Seniors / Boomers (36)
- Community (108)
- Business Services (111)
- Financial & Legal (120)
- Pets & Equestrian (47)
- Community Photo Gallery
- Community Video Gallery