After a successful debut in 2012, the 2013 Creemore Festival of the Arts, will take place from Friday, October 4 through Sunday, October 6. Take a look at the exciting program we have planned!
- Jason Collett's Basement Revue at the Avening Hall: This year, Avening Hall is pleased to be part of YEAR TWO of the Arts Festival and to celebrate, Jason Collett will be bringing his critically acclaimed Basement Revue up north and upstairs for TWO NIGHTS onFriday, October 4 and Saturday, October 5. Each night, Collett will be joined by a gang of guests - some musicians, some writers and some other friends too. For more information about tickets, go to www.aveninghall.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org, (705) 466-9906. Food Trucks will be making dinner available for purchase each night. Adults only. May contain mature content.
- The Sculpture Garden: The Sculpture Garden, sponsored by the Purple Hills Arts & Heritage Society, will feature large pieces of work, both permanent and installation pieces, created by three local sculptors - Ernest Herzig (Dunedin), Roy Hickling (Barrie) and Ralph Hicks (Creemore) in the Creemore Horticultural Park on Saturday, October 5 and Sunday, October 6 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Artisan Show and Sale: What greater gift is there than a unique article which is made by hand? Meet talented local artisans and find some fabulous handmade crafts, artwork, jewellery, body products and wood products at the Creemore Legion on Saturday, October 5 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Brunch will be available.
- Juried Art Show: As part of the Creemore Festival of the Arts, Purple Hills Arts and Heritage Society is proud to present our 2nd annual Juried Art Show, this year situated within the Station on the Green. This show will feature a wonderful cross section of mediums. Emerging to experienced artists will be showcased, making the work accessible to all who visit.
Purple Hills Wine and Cheese Reception: This is an opportunity for PHAHS members to have a visit with friends and a private viewing of the Juried Art Show on Saturday, October 5 from 5 to 7 pm, at Station on the Green. Meet the artists, enjoy some refreshments and take some time enjoying some remarkable art. Suggested donation $15. For more information about tickets, go http://phahs.ca/?page_id=1507 and to RSVP, email email@example.com.
- ARTicles: Purple Hills Arts and Heritage Society is also presenting ARTicles, a three-day Silent Auction of transformed articles. Community participants will create/transform an object into a piece of collectible art. The silent auction will run from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm, October 4 to 6, at the Mad and Noisy Gallery. A portion of the profits from the auction will be donated to the NCPS Music Program, for the purchase of new instruments. Contact Gail Caswell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Simcoe County Museum Presents Heritage Crafts at the Log Cabin: Join the interpreters from the Simcoe County Museum for a display and demonstration of Heritage Crafts at the Creemore Log Cabin. View live demonstrations of textile craft, learn about crafting from days gone by and try a hands-on program. This free, all-ages exhibit will be open on Saturday, October 5 and Sunday, October 6 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Artists on Location: Enjoy a wide variety of art in business and studio locations. Pick up your copy of the September 27 edition of the Creemore Echo for a full listing of artists or check online at www.phahs.ca for details.
- Barrie County Chordsmen: On Sunday, October 6 from 7:00 to 9:00 pm, come to St. John's United Church and have your spirits lifted by the Barrie County Chordsmen and friends, as they present old and new songs in harmony and joy, with a unique a cappella style. This is a free concert. A free-will offering is encouraged. Contact David Wilson (705) 466-5223, or go to www.barriecountychordsmen.com.
- The Creemore Mosaic Project TAKE TWO: Join local photographer M.K. Lynde, as she snaps your picture to include in her interactive community photo project. M. K. will be crowd-sourcing images on the streets of Creemore on Saturday, October 5 and Sunday, October 6 from 10:00 am till 4:00 pm.
- Variations on the Literary Arts for Young People: Cardboard Castles Children's Emporium and Curiosity House Books have two great programs to offer. On Saturday October 5, from 10:00 am to noon, they will welcome Lisa Dalrymple and Suzanne Del Rizzo, author and illustrator of the book, Skink on the Brink, for an all-ages hands-on clay modeling session and story time. From noon to 3:00 pm, Robin from RoroArts will make sock puppets with kids aged 7 and older. Registration is required - email@example.com.
- Alla Prima Oil Painting - A Live Demonstration of Painting a Head: Watch award winning artist, Sara Sniderhan paint an oil sketch from a live model. Sniderhan is keen on discussing materials, techniques and her experiences as a professional artist with visitors to the Mad and Noisy Gallery. The demonstration will begin at 10:00 am, on Saturday, October 5, with a break from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm and will conclude at 4:00 pm.
- Dance Activities for Kids and Families Presented by Moving In Community: Kids and families are invited to join Ayrlie MacEachern and Sara Felschow from Moving in Community on Sunday, October 6 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, at the Station on the Green, for programs which explore dance and movement. What better opportunity is there to explore their artistic side and set their imaginations free? Contact Ayrlie MacEachern (705) 444-0550, firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.phahs.ca.
- Hooked in House at Mad Maple Country Inn: Mad Maple Country Inn proudly presents Hooked in House - A play with one actress, seven fascinating women and seven small plates, on Sunday, October 6 at 2:00 pm, featuring three-time Gemini Award-winning actress Nicky Guadagni, featuring seasonal refreshments. Visit www.madmaple.ca for ticket information.
- Bidini, Books and Beer: On Sunday, October 6, at 2:00 pm, join Dave Bidini for an author event at the Avening Hall. Dave is a Gemini, Genie, Juno and Canada Reads award-nominee, as well a founding member of the Rheostatics. He will be reading from his newly-released book, Keon and Me: My Search for the Lost Soul of the Leafs. This event is hosted by the Creemore Men's Book Club and all genders are encouraged to attend. For more information, contact email@example.com. Reservations are appreciated.
- Digging Deeper: A Mega-Quarry Community Play Sneak Preview: Sunday, October 6 at the Avening Hall (time to be confirmed) enjoy a sneak preview of a play which tells the dramatic story behind the mega-quarry battle, with readings from the draft script, costume design drawings, songs-in-progress and initial choreography - created in collaboration with local people under the guidance of director Dale Hamilton and composer James Gordon.
The Creemore Festival of the Arts in presented by the Purple Hills Arts and Heritage Society, with sponsorship from Canadian Heritage. The event schedule will be updated on a regular basis. For more information about the 2013 Creemore Festival of the Arts, go to the Purple Hills Arts and Heritage Society website www.phahs.ca or contact Cheryl MacLaurin, (705) 446-8005.